Tuesday, October 11, 2011

October Photo Challenge - High Cotton


Lyrics | Alabama lyrics - High Cotton lyrics

I live in the deep South, Alabama to be exact.  Our Fall season usually consists of rapidly changing temperatures (it might be mid 80's one day and in the low 60's the next.)  Some years we have pretty foliage... that usually depends on how hot of a Summer we've had and how much rain we get... some years the leaves just turn brown and fall to the ground.  The one thing, to me, that is a sure sign of the "Harvest Season" is when I look out across our many cotton fields and it looks like a fresh blanket of snow has fallen.  It is a beautiful sight to behold, and one I think many Southerners take for granted.  Farmers in this country are becoming somewhat of an extinct group, and cotton farmers even more so.  My Father farmed when I was very young, and I still have a lot of family members that farm in our area.  When my cousin's wife contacted me about a Fall family session, I knew the cotton field was the perfect place!  Not only is it a beautiful setting, but it is part of their family's livelihood.  Her husband (my cousin) and his entire family are farmers and have been for several generations.  Thus, the inspiration for this shoot.

Titus (the little boy in this pic) did great for this session, he is 3 years old and such a sweetie. There were so many great shots from this session, with gorgeous Fall colors... but I am a sucker for black & white images! This photo was taken around 5:45 p.m. I am in love with back lighting right now, the tone of the evening sunlight this time of year is just to die for.  I had my spot metering turned on.  I processed this photo with the Buttercup Black & White action from Florabella to give it those wonderful vintage tones.  Happy Fall Y'all! :-)




Rock the Shot

I am pretty new to this photography thing and am learning more all the time!  Please feel free to check out more of my work on my FB page.  I'm always appreciative of constructive criticism and of course, also feel free to show some love!  https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/HH-Photography/142930609094660

No comments:

Post a Comment