Sunday, August 7, 2011

Crafty Photographer...

As many of you know, I love to play in arts & crafts.  I think I get this from my mother...as long as I can remember she was always learning how to make something, whether it be the old folk art hand painted wooden statue things (remember those), or the shirts with the large fabric iron on things that you painted on (I remember the Christmas ones were all the demand), or making hand made Christmas tree ornaments.  She had some sort of crafty project in the works all the time and always allowed me to help.  I have always made things for people (baby showers, wedding showers, etc.) because I believe it is more personal than just going to the store and buying something.  It shows that you care, not only to spend the money on something, but to take the time out of your busy life to hand make something for someone.  Another added bonus is that I can usually make something for a 1/4-1/2 the price you could buy it for someplace else, so that usually makes for a bigger gift, lol. 

Since I have started taking photographs, I am obsessed with props!  Especially the little cutesy stuff for babies!  Well, if you haven't checked out the prices on this stuff lately... they will absolutely $20-$30 you to death on all these little headbands (I do love the one I ordered from Etsy though!), tutus, etc., etc. I had a baby girl session coming up (8/6/11) that I needed some things for.  I had specific images in my head that I wanted to create, but needed some little props to make them happen.  Well in my world (of not doing this full time, plus just getting started) I did not want to spend like $100 on some headbands, etc. for pics.  In my brain, that calculates out to be like 1.5 backdrops that I could order, or an antique piece of furniture to use... see how my mind works...lol.  I am just too thrifty to allow myself to pay $ to someone for something that I know I can make... bottom line.

So begun the hunt through local craft stores for what I wanted to use.  (Which BTW, they are selling tons of stuff that make it really easy to make your own baby headbands now... and you do not have to be a crafty person.  Just equip yourself, with some glue and a few supplies and take off.)  For yesterday's sessions I ended up making one hat, one headband, and two crowns.  I could not be more pleased with how they photographed (of course it helped that I had an absolutely gorgeous baby girl to model them!)  Here is the very best part... I spent less than $20 on all 4 pieces... that's a bargain in my book any day! 

Please check them out below :-)

The Hat

  I have always LOVED peacock feathers!  See it in action in the next photo :-)




The Headband


I always love purple on little girls... and it something different than PINK, lol.  It looked sooo cute on!


The Crowns

I follow alot of prop places and photographer pages on FB.  I recently discovered Crowned Embellishments page on there and had an epiphany!  I was like "I can so make that!"

I really love these because every little girl deserves to be a princess... at least for a day!
The smaller crown.
The larger crown.

I can't wait to get to make some more things!

No comments:

Post a Comment